1. Step 1 Selection
  2. Step 2 Registration
Wednesday February 24
1:00 PM
In the final days of April, 1945, guards at the Dachau Main Camp forced nearly 7,000 prisoners onto the roads of southern Bavaria, headed for the Alps as American troops closed in. This lecture discusses the course and aftermath of the last of the Dachau death marches, using testimonies by survivors, American soldiers, and German civilians from communities through which the march passed. How can we use survivor testimony to reconstruct events that happened sometimes decades before those testimonies were recorded? How did those Germans who witnessed these horrific events later come to understand their role in the crimes of the Nazi state?
Category
Number of Reservations

Wednesday March 24
Sephardic Jews who immigrated to America from Muslim-majority countries are woefully understudied in the scholarship of American Jews. In this talk, Dr. Mijal Bitton will share findings from her research on the Syrian Jewish Sephardic community in Brooklyn. Dr. Bitton will demonstrate that a careful study of groups such as this one destabilizes normative assumptions about the relationship between America and its Jews.
Category
Number of Reservations

Wednesday April 28
Klezmer music, an instrumental genre rooted in an Eastern European Jewish cultural milieu deeply stylized by connections with non-Jewish co-ethnics, has been replanted and is thriving in the rich soil of America. This lecture-performance discusses and presents Klezmerica, a new Jewish music genre borne from the greenhouse of the Lower East Side with offshoots formed by the ricocheting reverberations of the alleyways in the Downtown NYC jazz scene and beyond.
Category
Number of Reservations

Please consider making a gift to the Jewish Studies Center at Hunter College $  
Event registration summary
"What Did You Do to These People?": History, Memory, and the Last Dachau Death March, 1945-1995:
Yes, I will attend
$0.00
What Can the New York Syrian Community Teach Us About Sephardim in America?:
Yes, I will attend
$0.00
Klezmerica: Jewish Invention and Repackaging of the Instrumental Jam:
Yes, I will attend
$0.00
Donation:
$0.00
Total:
$