Reimagining the Good Life:

Sustainability Ethics in Theory and Practice

Wednesday, April 18, 2018
Breakfast, 8:30 AM
Keynote Address, 9:00 AM
Session I, 10:00 AM
Session II, 11:15 AM
Roosevelt House 

L-R: Dale Jamieson, Sahotra Sarkar, Evelyn Brister, Kyle Powys Whyte, Samuel Truett

Please join us for a half-day conference on sustainability ethics and resilience. The conference brings together philosophers and other environmental theorists to address questions at the intersection of sustainability, philosophy, and ethics. These questions include: How can we revise our idea of “the good life” to promote sustainability? How do we balance our responsibilities toward future generations against our responsibilities to those alive now? What are the possibilities and prospects for indigenous environmental resistance? Finally, what are our moral obligations in an era in which we can no longer rely exclusively on our governments to solve our most urgent environmental problems?

CONFERENCE SCHEDULE 

8:30 AM Breakfast

Keynote Address
9:00 AM Dale Jamieson
  Professor of Environmental Studies and Philosophy, New York University: Who’s Responsible for Climate Change?

Session I
10:00 AM  Sahotra Sarkar
  Professor of Integrative Biology and of Philosophy,  University of Texas at Austin: What New Conservation Should Be

10:25 AM  Evelyn Brister
  Associate Professor of Philosophy, Rochester Institute of Technology: Sustainability, Forests, and Forks in the Road

10:50 AM    General discussion

11:15 AM  Coffee break

Session II

11:30 AM Kyle Powys Whyte
  Associate Professor of Philosophy and Community Sustainability, Michigan State University: Critical Investigations of Resilience and Justice: Indigenous Environmental Studies

11:55 AM Samuel Truett
  Associate Professor of History, University of New Mexico: Rethinking the Global Past to Imagine a Sustainable Planetary Future

12:20-12:45 PM  General discussion

Roosevelt House Public Policy Institute at Hunter College
47-49 East 65th Street (between Park and Madison Avenues)
New York City

1. Attendance Selection
  2. Guest Information
Wednesday April 18
8:30 AM - 10:00 AM
Reimagining the Good Life: Sustainability Ethics in Theory and Practice Conference Roosevelt House Public Policy Institute at Hunter College Co-sponsored by Roosevelt House, and the Departments of Philosophy and Geography, Hunter College
Number attending

Wednesday April 18
10:00 AM - 11:15 AM
Reimagining the Good Life: Sustainability Ethics in Theory and Practice Conference Roosevelt House Public Policy Institute at Hunter College Co-sponsored by Roosevelt House, and the Departments of Philosophy and Geography, Hunter College
Number attending

Wednesday April 18
11:15 AM - 12:45 PM
Number attending

Event registration summary
Reimagining the Good Life - Keynote Address:
Yes, I will attend
$0.00
Reimagining the Good Life - Session I:
Yes, I will attend
$0.00
Reimagining the Good Life - Session II:
Yes, I will attend
$0.00
Donation: